Tiger Woods in solid US Open start as Phil Mickelson struggles

2012 US Open Championship

  • Venue: The Olympic Club, San Francisco
  • Date: 14-17 June
Tiger Woods laid down a marker with a solid 69 as playing partners Phil Mickelson and Bubba Watson struggled on day one of the US Open at Olympic.
Woods went into the clubhouse in a share of second at one under, three behind leader Michael Thompson (66).
But five-time runner-up Mickelson was out of sorts and carded 76, while Masters champion Watson took 78.
The world's top three Luke Donald, Rory McIlroy and Lee Westwood were playing together in an afternoon group.
"That was the old Tiger. That was beautiful to watch
Bubba Watson on Woods.
Woods, back up to fourth in the world after his recent win at Memorial, looked in complete control of his game as he kicked off his challenge for a 15th major title and first since the 2008 US Open.
He began with five straight pars after starting at the ninth before dropping a first shot at the par-four 14th.
The former world number one made amends with a birdie at the 522-yard par-five 17th and fired back-to-back birdies at the fourth and fifth, the latter courtesy of a 30-foot putt, before a final bogey on the sixth.
"I played well - I felt like I had control of my game all day and stuck to my game plan," said the 36-year-old.
"We knew it was going to be quick, but we didn't think it was going to happen overnight. I was really, really surprised how much it changed - it was just like they used [underground aeration system] sub-air on the whole place and you had to make adjustments."
Of his long birdie putt at the fifth, he added: "It was a fluke - that putt was off the green. I'd left myself a tough putt.
"I was very pleased with every facet of my game and I stayed very patient."
Mickelson lost a ball with his first shot and had to return to the tee and his day continued in similar vein. He followed his opening bogey with two more in the next two holes and struggled throughout off the tee.

"I didn't play very well, obviously," said the four-time major champion. "It was a tough day playing the way I did and three-putting the fourth really hurt.
"I've got a tough challenge just to get to the weekend. I will see if I can shoot under par - maybe that will get me there.
"Tiger struck it really well. He had real solid control of his flight and trajectory."
As for losing his opening shot, he said: "It must have stayed up because nobody saw it."
Watson, who looked a shadow of the man who triumphed at Augusta in April, said: "The course beat me up today. It's a lot better than I am - it beat me by eight.
"It's disappointing and it doesn't matter what tournament it is."
Watson said of Woods's performance: "That was the old Tiger. That was beautiful to watch.
"That's what we all come to see. That's what we all want to watch and that was awesome to see him strike the ball look."

US Open factfile

  • No-one has won back-to-back US Opens since American Curtis Strange won it in 1988 and 1989
  • American Lee Janzen won the tournament the last time it was held at San Francisco's Olympic Park in 1998
  • Rory McIlroy's total of 268 at Bethesda's Congressional Country Club was the lowest in the tournament's 116-year history